Stitching Bloggers Question of the Week

"What for you means to achieve mastery as a stitcher?"

I was 9 years old when I first picked up a needle to embroider – that’s 29 years ago and a needle in my fingers feels as much a part of me as my own heartbeat.

As I considered this week’s question I thought about being a stitcher and these are some of the things that I thought of. This is the list I came up with:

  • I understand about using different types of needles.
  • I know about cotton threads, silk threads, metallics, over dyed and know of different ways to handle them to ensure good results.
  • I love speciality stitches and marvel at how a piece can come alive with a carefully place Rhodes stitch or row of mosaic stitches.
  • I know that I like to stitch on 28 count – but never linen I HATE stitching on linen.
  • I have a very expensive pair of scissors that only ever cut cotton or silk threads and NOTHING else.
  • I have a favourite designer (Martine Weber) and have spent an absolute fortune on materials for some of her designs.
  • I never stitch in hand and have a wonderful collection of frames to suit any project – and I have my absolute favourite frame.
  • I use a Lowery Workstand (and have both corner and side clamps) I saved up for almost a year to get it – and I wouldn’t be without it (I also have a sit on frame for workshops although I am saving up for the Lowery table top stand)
  • I have friends who are specifically stitching friends and we drive for 2 or 3 hours to meet up.
  • I am a member of the Embroiders Guild.
  • I go on workshops and occasional weekend courses.
  • I won a cup at our village show this year

Do I think I will every achieve mastery as a stitcher?

I hope not.

I am a process person and love the challenge of either approaching something new or doing the old better and finding new ways to approach the same difficulties.

Take stitching over one – or rather don’t. I love the effect but it can be so tedious, fiddly and slow. Try tent stitch to achieve the same delicate effect in a fraction of the time. It might not work – but then again it might.

I love my hobby and everything about it. Our relationship isn’t perfect sometimes we fall out, sometimes I sulk and wont stitch for weeks – but most of the time our relationship is one of mutual respect and love and I would hate to ruin it by assuming mastery over it.

Comments

Popular Posts