UFO Night - Week 2

Last night was the second week of UFO night hosted by Moll on A Crafty Natter.

I pulled out Alpine Seasons and the universe arranged for both DH and DS to be out all evening.

My aim was to place a ring of single cross stitch in the correct postion. The ring has four diagonal rows in one colour and four straight ones in another.

I was starting each row by checking placement against one of the rhodes stitches in the body of the work.

I have a version of the pattern that had been released monthly - this is part 4 & 5. I also bought a version of the pattern as a whole when Martina released it a couple of years after the online class finished (it has been a UFO for a long time!!!!).

I used a combination of those two pattern to cross reference positioning - I knew it would take a while but I really wanted to get this spot on.

Three hours later I was almost in tears. Sometimes it just doesn't go right does it? No matter how many times I tried I would get one row positioned spot on then work the next two - check the position and I would be way off!!!! The more I checked against the patterns the worse it got.

Can you guess where this is going?

The patterns are different - the earlier version has 30 stitches on the diagonal and the newer one 34!!!! I was counting from the earlier version as it's on paper and a good size, the newer version is on the computer. As I stared in disbelief at the patterns I did some counting on the piece and that was it - those four stitches on each diagonal were having an interesting effect on the positioning of the straights.

I guess that's why they call it counted embroidery.

Comments

Popular Posts