Back

Back to a real bed
Back to four walls that don't move in the wind
Back to electricity
Back to indoor plumbing
Back to Stuff

Week one of this year's holiday was spent in a tent at the very north of Scotland. We were a 2 minute (if that) walk from the beach. The weather was kind - beautifully sunny most days.

Normally I over plan our family trips knowing exactly what, where, when and how and I fret if we don't run to (my) schedule. This year I tried something new - no planning.

We left home at 5pm on a Friday evening for a 500 mile journey. We had no bed booked for the night - we had no campsite booked for the week. Actually that's not as foolhardy as it sounds. The campsite at which we wanted to stay doesn't take bookings and is really a caravan site with four tent pitches. So I crossed my fingers and toes that it would be OK.

The journey was long and by about 11pm we were tired, cramped, hungry and really wanted a bed. However, there was no room at the Travel Inn, Premier Lodge or Thistle Hotel (Perth Highland Games).

We pressed on to Inverness and ended up spending a couple of hours trying to sleep in the car park of a full hotel. Able to sleep no longer Dalesman drove onward and upward. There isn't much after Inverness - but it was very early in the morning and the roads were empty. Sleeping in the car for another couple of hours left us grumpy and achey. It was worth it when we arrived at the campsite of choice and got a pitch!!!!!!!

Armed with Rough Guide to Scotland, Cool Camping - Scotland and the relevant OS map we had some great adventures.

There were fantastic forest walks, a sand sculpture competition, surfing, a tea shop where I got to talk about spinning and washing fleece and sign the visitors book with a Get Knitted pen (theirs not mine). We walked to the most northerly point of mainland Britain (not John O'Groats) Dunnet Head.


The weather was gloriously sunny and we had some amazing bedtime walks along the beach.....


The one day it rained I sat in the tent all cosy listening to the rain and stitching on a small project I'd taken with me - it was actually perfect. Even though we were in the middle of nowhere I managed to find a wonderful needlework/quilting/knitting shop just 10 minutes from the campsite - what could be more perfect!!!!


I managed to do a wee bit of knitting each day also - see the bag a Namaste Laguana the perfect vacation project bag - especially when Dalesman said I could only take ONE bag with me!!!

So that was week one - for week two we drove 3 hours south to the Findhorn Foundation..........but that's another blog entry.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh Samantha how I wish I had been there with you. Lovely photos, and your tent looks so cosy too.
Hugs Colly

Popular Posts