Mince Pies

If I'd used the flash the picture would have been better but the mince pies couldn't taste any better.

This batch is for the girls at knit night tomorrow evening.

I made another four dozen today, some for home and some for work. I first made mince pies with my Granny when I was 6 or 7 and I've made them every year since - that's over 30 years of mince pie making. Granny used to make so many for church, work, home, neighbours and relatives that they would be stacked on cooling racks all over the kitchen.

As I precariously balanced a rack of cooling mince pies on the windowsill Dalesman suggested it might fall and I should move it. At that same moment I felt as if Granny was with me and I laughed with her remembering all the times her husband had said the same to her. I love making mince pies.

Comments

hen said…
I love that picture! It looks all warm and christmassy!

Your story brought a lump to my throat. Thanks for sharing such a lovely memory.

hen
xxxx
Greentwinsmummy said…
I love moments like that,when the decades all merge together in an instant x
your pies look scrumptious,I need to gather my courage & try some again,every other time I have made them they have been nothing short of atrocious lol!!!!
GTM x x x
Colette said…
Those pies look beautiful Samantha, I can almost taste them.
Enjoy them with your knitting friends.
Hugs Colly
XX
Nicola said…
Your pies were delicious Samantha! Thanks, and Ian enjoyed them very much too.
N.
nita x said…
they do look scrumdiddlyumptious :o)
i always made them as a child but the last few years havnt as P and J dont really like them, do love the smell of them cooking though.
Bovey Belle said…
Snap - I made some like that too, using orange pastry. Yours look so good!

Popular Posts