Playlist of my life

Whilst pregnant with me each time certain music came on the radio my Mum was violently sick.

When I was seven I would go shopping with my Mum and refuse to go into shops where music was playing. I was sat on the doorstep of a shop in Leeds when I heard Elvis had died - or rather I heard the women in the shop sobbing

I still have a hatred of the song Popcorn and also of Bright Eyes (the soundtrack to Watership Down). If accidentally heard either of these songs can induce a full blown panic attack - even thinking about them now is inducing anxiety.

It may seem from this small snapshot into my musical life that I don't like music.

In fact nothing could be further from the truth. I adore music. I married music - well actually I married a DJ but there are times when it is hard to tell the two apart.

I can vividly remember times of my life by just hearing one song................

Live it up - Mental as Anything - I'm 17, at boarding school, sneaking bottles of wine into dorm, playing hockey and having fun.

China in my Hand - T'Pau - first true love, broken heart, sobbing

Amoureuse - Kiki Dee - .................... ; )

Streets of Philadelphia, Bruce Springsteen - moving into my first flat. Nicola and I had one CD and we played it constantly while we moved in. Nicola my wonderful, funny, witty, Geordie flat mate who died far too young.

Theme tune to Thomas the Tank Engine - too many 5am mornings when Dalesboy was a toddler - what I wouldn't give for just one of those mornings now.

Baa Baa Black Sheep - Dalesboy at 2 1/2 responded to my Sister in Law singing Ave Marie at our wedding by running to the front saying "my turn now" and belting out Baa Baa Black Sheep.

And so it goes on - a piece of music for each and every time of my life - the good and the bad. Certain music can make me physically sick - I think it's a heavy bassline. Some music is just pure rubbish.

But when it's right - my whole body sings. I vibrate to the beautiful rhythm and soul hidden deep with a tune. I fly through the notes - on the wing through the high and sweeping down to the deep. Pure magic.

The playlist of my life - that's one heck of a mix tape.

Comments

Kim Johnston said…
Oh yes oh yes! Music is the power that keeps us going. I was only thinking the other day, whilst at a gig (Mike and the Mechanics) how music makes me feel alive. The weekend before was Pink Floyd The Wall, a soundtrack that represents much teenage angst!
I pften think as I am walking along, of what the music would be if I were in a film!
Jacqui said…
I just love that image of your boy running out and singing at the wedding - it made me laugh. xx
Unknown said…
oh what a beautiful post. You've brought tears to my eyes, of both joy and a bit of sadness.

Popular Posts