My magnum opus

Magnum opus (plural: magna opera, also opus magnum / opera magna), from the Latin meaning "great work", refers to the largest, and perhaps the best, greatest, most popular, or most renowned achievement of a writer, artist or composer.

Sometimes the term magnum opus is used to refer to simply "a great work" rather than "the great work" of a specific person.

For over 30 years I have been knitting.  I can't remember when I started but I do know that by the time I was 9 I could read a pattern and was knitting clothes for my dolls - I particularly remember a pattern for a dolls sleeping bag that I knit in 4ply navy blue - complete with zip sewn in.

During this long career with needles and yarn I have avoided knitting a jumper - bags, socks, scarfs, shawls, gloves, hats, baby things.  I remember a couple of cardigans but no jumpers.

Dalesman and I have been together almost 20 years and he has received none of my knitting goodies.  When I offered he always suggested another more worthy recipient.  A couple of years ago there was a subtle change and I realised that the occasional comments about my knitting were hints that he would like a jumper!

It is worth saying at this point that we are both very, very fussy.  It took a further two years to find a pattern that we both liked - that he would wear and that I would knit.  Then it took several months to save up for the yarn..................




I cast on between Christmas and New Year 2010 - I have been knitting for 9 months and we are having a wonderful time together.  To put this in context I work full time, I have a second job that I do about 6 hours a week, I am a mother and a wife and I am a slow knitter.  Oh yes and it's a Gansey in 4ply navy blue!




This is the front and back knit in the round for 13 inches, then gussets added, then separated and 7 inches of the front.  I am about to begin shaping for the neckline and then on to the back and the arms.

I may not finish by Christmas 2011.................a magnum opus should not be rushed.











Comments

Kim Johnston said…
It is divine...a great work indeed. XX

Popular Posts