Reflections on Motherhood

This morning I read my friend Kelly's blog and all day I’ve been thinking about Motherhood and what it means to me.

I remember the day I became a Mother – my son was 3 years old. I walked down the garden path after a stressful day at work pursing my career and as I did so a thick fog lifted and I walked into the house as a Mother.

I don’t know what caused the shift or why it took 3 years after my son was born. I do know that for some people it happens shortly after their baby is born, for some many years later and for some not at all – even when their own children are parents they still don’t embrace the role of Mother. I don’t even think you have to have children to be a good Mother. I have friends who don’t have children who have the same attributes as many Mothers I know.

I also know that we all do it differently and it is so easy to judge each other, criticise and be unsupportive.

As a Mother I………..

Feed and water
Clothe and bathe
Kiss and cuddle
Worry and fret
Laugh and cry
Shout and scream
Set rules and boundaries
Choose my battles
Always love even when I don’t always like
Am vulnerable and anxious
Provide shelter and warmth

So Kelly you’re a great Mother – we all are – and if I ever doubt it I just have to take a look at the results of my mothering……….


Comments

Unknown said…
You are so right. I became a Mother when Emma was born. So did Anne. We both looked at her, so tiny and vulnerable, and we both knew that we would fight to the death for her.

For my own mum, she retired from being a Mother when I turned 16. Sadly Anne was only 11 at the time. I didn't even know that was an option.
Anonymous said…
Samantha, this made me cry for more than one reason. I cried for my own sadness at not being a perfect mother, and I cried for you, because you are a wonderful mother and you are so proud of your beautiful son.
Hugs Colly
XXXX

Popular Posts