Alchemy

I'm always happiest when I'm creating things.  It's when time pauses and I become one with the process of creating.

I've been baking cakes since I was about 10 and learned to knit before that.  I can make bobbin lace and spin yarn.  As a teenager I made my own clothes and creating a home in the 14 houses I've lived in is always a pleasure.

Recently I had the opportunity to learn how to make soap.  My good friend Nicola - soapmaker extraordinaire held a masterclass in my kitchen for me, Lou and SueJ.


 There were ingredients to be weighed, measured and melted - coconut oil, olive oil, beeswax.  We created chemical reactions with water and caustic soda.



We added fragrance.  Applejack for Lou and SueJ and not one to ignore the inner hippy I went for rose and patchouli with a bit of jojoba (ok so not so inner hippy).

It was a wonderful day as we chatted, drank tea, laughed and like magic ended up with soap.



Yes that is four demijohns of cider and that's a whole other story.............

Comments

Popular Posts